Monday, March 29, 2010

Riddlesden Hall















We visited Riddlesden Hall on Saturday.  Strangely,  you look at a map and things look very close, but it takes much longer to get there with all the narrow roads and villages that slow down the progress.

Inside Riddlesden Hall is a sampling of Leeds creamware.  (second only to Wedgewood)  One mug had this little poem on it;

Industry

Let the wealthy and great
Roll in splendor and state
I envy them not,  I declare it

I eat my own lamb
My own chickens and ham
I shear my own fleece, and I wear it

I have lawns,  I have bowers
I have fruits,  I have flowers
The lark is my morning alarmer

So jolly boys now
Here's God speed the plow
Long life and success to the farmer!

There is an enormous oak bin with wooden pegs holding it together.  This held their oat grain after the harvest.  Little boys would be put inside to trample the grain so it would be packed and have less chance for molding.  Every summer they would take it apart, wash it, and let the sun dry and bleach it thoroughly.  (again so no mold would grow)

It is hard to believe this was built in the early 1600s,  and that the site was cleared and settled in the 7th Century. 

Original to the house were two or three entry doors.  The oak slats are vertical to the outside and another set of slats run horizontal on the inside.  There are metal tacks all over the door. (the ax would hit the metal, another barrier)  Even during the English Civil War these doors were impenetrable to enemy attacks.   The doors are set into stone, so can never be removed.  Even the hinges are original.
                                                                                   
                                                                       

2 comments:

Katie and Howard said...

Its so pretty! It is amazing it was built in the 1600's!

ms said...

I like the poem. Teri Heap asked about you in the grocery store today, and I'd say on average, about 10 people ask a week. I feel like it's de ja vu every time someone asks because I usually give a word-for-word response.