Friday, April 9, 2010

Bronte Parsonage Museum and Cemetary

One of my favorite books of all time is Jane Eyre. My mother showed it to me when I was still a girl living at home. Now, Wuthering Heights, on the other hand was a little disturbing. Only because I always want things to end happily and they just never did in this book. (Poor Heathcliff) I have only seen Tenet of Whitefell Hall on BBC. The Brontes were beyond talented. Just think what they might have produced had they lived longer. All of the Bronte children proceeded their father in death. His wife died in her 30s, followed by two young daughters who had gone away to school. It was common in Haworth for four or five families to share a privy, and for the waste to run down the street in open ditches contaminating water supplies. In spite of it all, Charlotte writes, "My home is humble and unattractive to strangers but to me it contains what I shall find nowhere else in the world - the profound, and intense affection which brothers and sisters feel for each other when their minds are cast in the same mould...." (spelling as she wrote it)

No comments: